In many organizations, the management requires its workers to follow the ethical code that aims to keep a positive atmosphere and respect in the team. In the context of personal intentions, you can also make your own ethical code. How can you do it? It is very easy. Below, we will tell you everything about the moral code, plus we will give some examples of it.
First of all, we need to figure out what the ethical code is. It is a regulation set that the workers have to follow when doing business. Usually, these regulations are built on several essential features – the company's values, business aims, ways of solving problems, and the standards of keeping their workers. The code of ethics of the individual may consist of his personal history, views, and valuables.
Of course, these ethical principles are special for every person and company, but usually, they represent the general social conception of what is right and what is wrong. Moreover, most of these rules come from society's expectations – for example, not to take the things of other people.
Every person gives his own value to this ethical code, but making a personal moral code has its benefits. As personal valuables are the main basis of any ethical code, people can use it when they are unsure how to behave in some situations from a moral perspective. And thanks to this code, people can act and think by what they believe fundamentally. Thus, the primary purpose of this code is to strengthen the people's valuables and give them confidence in the way they follow.
If you want to make your ethical code, you need to make the following steps:
- Reveal for what reasons you want to make the code of ethics: Before creating a personal ethical code, find a reason why you want to do it. For example, you need it for acting in everyday life or serve you as a guide for becoming the person you want to be. If you realize why you want to make this code, it will be easier for you to create such a code that will follow your valuables and views.
- Draw up a list of your personality traits: When making the personal ethical code, you need to make up a list of all your personality traits. Here, you can mention all the traits that fully describe you. Besides, while making such a list, you should also question yourself if your close people share the same vision about you as a personality. This point will help you to make an honest, ethical code.
- Think about your relationships with other people: Look at your relations with others and think of what you want to change in them. If you have some close work relationships, define their quality. This way, you will have a vision of the way they should be.
- Make up a regulation set that you will obey: We recommend you make up a list of regulations – an instruction resource you will use in everyday life. Here, you can include your current personality traits, plus the traits you want to develop in the future.
- Establish your main rules: This point means setting up the regulations you will use in everyday situations. Besides, in this list, you can also add your declarations to recall that you do need to use your ethical code during your whole life.
Ok, now you know all the steps for creating a personal code of ethics. And here the question comes – how to implement all this? Below, we will leave you two examples of the ethical code.
The first is the example of the moral code of the personal.
The individual ethical code
- You will treat people the way they treat you: Here, you promise yourself that it does not matter what obstacles you have; you will politely treat all the people you interact with.
- The promise of being honest with everybody in all aspects of your life: Like everybody, you have a right to personal privacy, but in your personal life, you promise to be sincere. You try not to keep the information about you from the people, who deserve it, but at the same time, you understand all the risks that can happen and be responsible for it. Such situations will serve as a reminder to review your moral principles to see whether a non-disclosure contradicts your ethical code.
- You will do all your best to balance personal life and work: Here, you need to promise that you will equally dedicate your efforts and time to work and personal life.
- You are constantly working on self-improving: The ethical code following will help you to become the person you want to be in the future.
- Keeping all the promises and fulfilling the responsibility: Here, it refers not only to yourself but also to your family, friends, colleagues. When your moral principles, work, or community contradict each other, you will refer to your code of ethics for help.
- You will be responsible for all your mistakes: Here, you promise to take responsibility for all the actions you are responsible for in terms of morality. Besides taking responsibility, you also promise to correct your honest mistakes.
- You will also defend your moral principles: This promise means that you will implement your moral principles in every situation of your life, no matter what impact they will have.
- You value life, and you will be thankful for every moment of it: You understand that you can be luckier than others, and that is why you value your life, and you are thankful for everything. Besides, you promise to do all your best to make the community's life better.
- You fully accept your principles, and you take responsibility to implement them: Here, you promise to accept all the guidelines you have chosen for yourself and take responsibility to implement them. You promise to work on self-improvement and updating your principles over time constantly. Besides, you promise to use your ethical code as your guide in solving all ethical problems in your life.
Here, there is a professional, ethical code example.
Name of the company
Professional, ethical code:
- We respect each other: So many men, so many minds. And we all have the equal right to share our opinion and respect each other for that.
- We are all men of the world: We are equally glad to work with all the people. We do not care about what orientation they have to what ethnic group they belong to. It does not matter what color of skin they have or what their age is. We welcome everybody!
- We are tolerant to everyone: It means that we treat every worker the same way we want them to treat us.
- We are professionals: Being professional equals being kind to others. That is why we treat all people professionally all the time.